Sunday, June 22, 2008

Captive soldier's parents ask court to stop truce

The parents of an Israeli soldier held by Hamas-allied militants petitioned Israel's supreme court Saturday to block a truce deal with the militant group so long as their son remains in captivity.
Noam and Aviva Schalit petitioned the court on behalf of their son Gilad, claiming that part of the deal included opening the Gaza Strip's crossings. They said this would allow their son's captors to smuggle him out and harm efforts to free him.
As part of their petition, the Schalits published a handwritten letter, penned by their son, which was delivered to the family two weeks ago by representatives of former U.S. President Jimmy Carter.
Gilad Schalit was abducted near the Gaza border two years ago. He has not been seen since, but a recording of his voice and two previous letters he wrote have been released.
In the latest letter, dated "June 2008," Schalit wrote his parents that he is suffering from medical and psychological difficulties, as well as depression.
"I still think and dream about the day I will be released and see you again. I still have a hope that that day is near, but I know it does not depend on me or on you," he wrote. "I ask the government not to neglect the negotiations for my release." More...

No comments: