Friday, January 11, 2008

Portrait of the Artist as a Dhimmified Man



Pajamas Media - The current level of self-censorship is deeply problematic. “Their eagerness to assume the role of subjugated infidels living under Islamic rule can only demoralize the population and embolden the extremists.”

The art that you do not see reflects what everyone already sees. And what we see is the preemptive surrender of public freedoms in the name of appeasing the continent’s restive Muslim underclass.
Grayson Perry, a Turner Prize recipient and England’s most famous cross-dressing potter, has been heralded for his controversial explorations of religious imagery, which include a vase entitled “Transvestite Brides of Christ” and a portrayal of the Virgin Mary that is best left to the imagination. Yet apparently there are some boundaries that even groundbreaking artists dare not cross.
“I’ve censored myself,” Perry told the Times, admitting that he treads lightly around radical Islam. “The reason I haven’t gone all out attacking Islamism in my art is because I feel real fear that someone will slit my throat.”

No comments: